SFU Recovered N6.5 Billion In Two Years, Former Head Reveals


The Special Fraud Unit (SFU) in Lagos, recovered N6.45 billion from fraud-related cases in two years, Mr. Tunde Ogunsakin, former Commissioner of Police, in charge of the unit has said.

Ogunsakin, who is now the Rivers State CP said the unit handled 1,142 fraud cases, between March, 2012 to Feb. 14, 2014.

According to Ogunsakin, the recovered money was included N6.3 billion and $931,069 (about N152.69 million).

He also said about 600 cases went to trial during the period with nine judgements, including four convictions and recovery of more than 13 vehicles.

On his new posting, the former SFU chief also said many arms and ammunition had been recovered from hoodlums in Rivers State since he resumed duty in February, pointing out that the quantity of recovered arms as ‘mind blowing.’

He added that kidnapping, armed robbery and cultism were the major crimes in the state and that various arms and ammunition were being recovered on a daily bases, adding that AK-47 Riffles topped the list of the recovered arms.

The police boss said that many suspected kidnappers, armed robbers, and a suspected arms supplier to Boko Haram, had been arrested, adding that the command had achieved the feat with the assistance of other security agency, particularly the Nigerian Navy.

He said he would put an end to kidnapping, which he said is major challenge in the state, adding: “When I discovered that kidnapping was the main crime, I studied the operation of the kidnappers, the time and how they carry out their crime.

“I deployed officers and men accordingly and we carried out stop and search operation in all routes. The number of arms recovered within two weeks was mind-blowing and people were also arrested.

“One of the suspects arrested was caught with explosives that can bring down many buildings same time, and he confessed that he supplies arms to Boko Haram in Yobe.

“We are still investigating him.

“We need more equipment to police the water areas and other black spots in the state,” he added.

On the House of Assembly crisis, the police commissioner said that the complex was still under lock, adding that that the issue was a legal one.