Police Tear Gas Charly Boy, Others In Abuja Over Rally Against Buhari

Police Tear Gas Charly Boy, Others In Abuja Over Rally Against Buhari
Chris Steven, Abuja
Police on Tuesday in Abuja fired teargas canisters and hot water to disperse protesters asking for the hailing President Muhammadu Buhari to either return to the country or resign.
Armed police men who also used dogs to scare away the protesters manhandled some of them which led to one sustaining injuries. Journalists who also went early to the Fountain to cover the protest were not spared from the effect of the tear gas.
The protesters led by Charly Boy, a popular and lone entertainer gathered at the Abuja Unity Fountain for the second day of what was planned to be a one -week protest under the aegis of OurMumuDonDo to demand the return or resignation of the President who has spent 90 days in London for medical treatment.
As early as 7am policemen took over the Unity Fountain, a development that forced the protesters to relocate to the Millennium Park ground to continue with the protest.
However, the security operatives who were said to be acting on the directive from the Federal Government to disrupt the rally because the protest on Monday went viral and embarrassed the government also dispersed the protesters who gathered at Millennium Park for the day’s business.
According to an eye-witness, Charly Boy who wept profusely after he and others were teargassed by the police later collapsed as he muttered strength to explain what happened when asked by journalists.
It took quick intervention of other protesters who poured water on him before he could be revived.
“When we Charly Boy inside the Millennium Park, he was just crying and we tried to calm him down and ask question. He just collapsed and fainted as one of his boys was about to explain to us.” Said a reporter with WAZOBIA FM
“His eyes were red just as there are some injuries around his legs. We have to quickly pour water on him to revive him. We were there when the police again fired another tear gas canister. Even now my eyes are aching” he added.
The wounded protester was taken to a clinic at the Federal Secretariat complex, a few kilometres from the scene of the incident.
But the extent of his injuries could not be immediately ascertained.
The participants, however, braved the assault and continued with their meeting for about an hour.