Paul Obiajunwo, Port Harcourt
10-yrs-old boy was burnt beyond recognition at the weekend and his parent is presently in a critical condition after kerosene explosion that took place at Sancline Hotel road, Eleparawa, in Obio/Akpor Local government area of Rivers State.
The explosion which occurred at the weekend burnt down two wooden constructed rooms popularly called batcher before Rivers State fire service and good Samaritans assisted in putting the fire off.
When The post arrived at the undeveloped land which was rented for people who constructed wooden houses as living home, it was gathered that both the father and mother of the victim have been rushed to two different hospitals but were rejected.
One of the neighbours Mr. Emmanuel Okon whose house was also affected said the fire started from the victims’ house before it affected his house.
He said the only thing he can remember was that he saw his neighbour when he came in with five liters of kerosene and after three minutes what they heard was a loud sound.
Okon said: “May be he was trying to turn the kerosene he bought into the cooking stove or lantern when it’s exploded. I don’t know what happened, what I know is that when I saw fire, we started rushing out of the house for safety.
“Everything burnt down, I didn’t pick anything in my house, other people were lucky the fire didn’t get to their side due to the assistance of the fire service and youths who were around. It was later that we realized that 10 –year- old boy was not rescued.
Chibuzor Odum, the brother to the victim who hails from Rumuekpe in Emohua Local government area of Rivers State said his father, Sampson Odum was turning the kerosene into the cooking stove when his phone rang and the stove exploded.
Chibuzor who said he is not sure if what his father bought was real kerosene said his late brother was asleep when the explosion occurred and the family struggled to rush out of the house without remembering that someone was asleep.
“It was later after we have escaped, though my father and mother was seriously burnt that we now remember that the family is not complete, the fire was much for anyone to risk jumping inside to rescue him.
“When the fire was put off, my brother was burnt beyond recognition; I don’t know what to do now. Both my father and mother as I am talking to you now have not been accepted yet for treatment, we went to three hospitals but they rejected them.”