The waiting game is over as organizers of Islamic Music and Associated Nominees (IMAN) Awards, Different Stroke Media (DSM), have finally released nominations for the 2018 edition of the prestigious awards. Though, many stakeholders in the industry expected the annual award event to have been done with by now considering the fact that the 2017 edition took place on August 20th, but the organizers contend that the 2018 edition was left till now to get the best out of the event.
According to Saheed Ojubanire, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of DSM, when the 2017 edition was reviewed, it was realize that some quality musical works as well as a number of would-have-been nominees were shut out because the event held after Ramadan/Eid-el-Fitri celebration and before Eid-el-Kabir festival which by implication, meant that the albums released for the Eid-el-Kabir festivities and some new artistes who were thown up in some of those jobs were unwittingly denied the opportunity of nominations during the 2017 edition. And to guide against a repeat of that, the organizers have resolved to be holding the awards well after Eid-el-Kabir.
Without further ado, like it was done during the 2017, the 2018 edition’s winners would be determined through voting %100 by members of the public. The votes would be sent to a short code: 33811 using either MTN or Airtel line (voting with any other line would be invalid). And the procedure is just to type: “IMAN”, leave a space, type the serial number of the category they are voting in i.e.: “1”, leave a space, and then type the name of their favourite nominee as written on the list and send to 33811. For example: IMAN 1 Dare Melody or IMAN 2 Tope Alabi and send to 33811. Each vote costs #50.00 (Fifty Naira) and multiple votes are allowed on just the 2 stated telephone networks. The voting which is starting on October 1st, 2018, would end on Sunday, October 28th, 2018, and the award ceremony would hold on Sunday, November 4th, 2018, at a venue to be announced soon, in Lagos.
Below are the nominations for IMAN Awards 2018:
(1) Best Male Islamic Artiste: Saoty Arewa, Ere Asalatu, Ahmad
Alawiye, Ayeloyun, Ridwan Dosunmu, Ibrahim Labaeka.
(2) Best Female Islamic Artiste: Obi Rere, Ruqoyaah Gawat,
Mistura Temi Ni Success, Medinat Barrytide, Iyanghana, Azeezat Otibiya.
(3) Best Islamic Music Album: Oyin Ni Temi (Jemila Ope Dudu), Adua (Ere Asalatu), Igbeyawo (Saoty Arewa), E’Samin (Wasiu As-Sideeq), Suuru (Obi Rere), Olohun To Dami (Mutiu Akasho).
(4) Best Islamic Music Video: Oni Ni (Ere Asalatu), Islam (Saoty Arewa), Kadara Eni (Obi Rere), I Miss You Muhammad (Alfa Mi Ni).
(5) Best Islamic Hip Hop Artiste: Hyb Addis, Lawizzy, Al-Mubarak
Kewuyemi, Gentle Malam, Abdulbaasit Allaahu-Ni, Aboki Anobi.
(6) Face of Islamic Music [Male]: Ere Asalatu, Ahmad Alawiye,
Ayeloyun, Saoty Arewa, Mumeen Esinogbamilaye, Wasiu As-Siddeeq.
(7) Face of Islamic Music [Female]: Obi Rere,
Iyankaola, Omotayebi, Wabilahi Taofeeq, Hafusat As-Sideeq, Iyanghana.
(8) Best New Male Islamic Artiste: Odere Arole Arewa, Oluomo Hamowiy, Aridunnu Ayeloyun, Tajudeen Omo Jeje, Arole Shehu, Razak Kakaaki.
(9) Best New Female Islamic Artiste: Ashabi Lady Saoty, Balikis Ariyo,
Kudirat Ike Anobi, Lateefat Qomorudeen, Halima Ariremako, Modinat Alanu-Omo.
(10) Most Fashionable Male Islamic Artiste: Ahmad Alawiye, Saoty
Arewa, Ere Asalatu, Ayeloyun, Amir Cisse, Saheed Aotipoto.
(11) Most Fashionable Female Islamic Artiste: Wabilahi Taofeeq, Queen
Seidah Rasheedah, Barry Tide, Iyanghana, Omotayebi, Rukayat Basirimi.
(12) Best Islamic Kid Artiste: Malik Okiki, Sabeeq
Eleshinla, Golden Son, Aishat Ayopo.
(13) Best Islamic Artiste in Stage Performance: Mistura Temi Ni
Success, Ahmad Alawiye, Omotayebi, Mariam Akiki, Ayeloyun, Ibraheem Labaika.
(14) Best Islamic Artiste in Diaspora: Latifa Omo Cairo (Egypt), Seidah Basirat Subair Olaogun (Dublin), Rodiat Adeboye (Dublin), Tajudeen Olanrewaju Rahman (America), Adhakir Tijani (Mr.Zhikri) (United Kingdom), Sekinat Omidiya (United Kingdom).
(15) Best Popular Tune Adaptation in Islamic Music: Saoty Arewa (Ligali Mukaiba Tune), Jemila Ope Dudu (Bolojo Tune), Kayefi (Apala Tune), Mutiu Akasho (Ajiwere Tune).
(16) Best Zhikri Based Islamic Artiste: Kifayat Jejeniwa, Queen
Seidah Rasheedah, Ridwan Dosunmu, Jemila Ope Dudu, Iyanghana, Seidah Ahmowiyah.
(17) Best Nashid Artiste: Crescents, Abdul-Azeez Shakirudeen, Muhammad Abdullah, Husayn Zaguru, Kabir Umar.
(18) Best Islamic Hip Hop Song: Azikiri (Al-Mubarak Kewuyemi), Battlefield (Ibn-Ridoh), Masha Allah (Hyb Addis), Allahu Akbar (Aboki Anobi), Mohammad ( Azakir Atapawiy).
(19) Fastest Rising Male Islamic Artiste: Mutiu Akasho, Hassan Omo Idunnu, Saheed Aotipoto, Kayefi, Onisuru Imotola.
(20) Fastest Rising Female Islamic Artiste: Awoko Arewa, Silifat Talolohun, Golden Kaphy, Ummu Niyass, Saida Fayegbami, Nafisat Eniafe.
(21) Best Islamic Music Collaboration: Aforijin (Obi Rere), Divorce (Saoty Arewa), Ramadan ( Akobi Esan 1), Ramadan (Barry Tide).
(22) Best Featured Non Islamic Artiste in Islamic Music: Pasuma,
Saheed Osupa, Sefiu Alao, Sule Alao Malaika, Taye Currency, Adaradenu Jamaica.
(23) Best Islamic Music Video Editor: Saheed Oyeledun, Michael Oke,
Emmanuel Agbozo, Sulaimon Solaja, Aduragba Ahmed.
(24) Best Islamic Music Marketer: Okiki, Golden Point, Epsalum,
Mustoy, Abcon Music, Hasolad.
(25) Best Islamic Music Promoter: Golden Point, Okiki, Abcon Music.
(26) Best Supportive Radio Station to Islamic Music: Faaji f.m.
(Lagos), Bond f.m. (Lagos), Radio Lagos (Lagos), Family f.m. (Abeokuta),
Harmony f.m. (Ilorin).
(27) Best Supportive Individual to Islamic Music: MC Oluomo, Ibraheem
Dende, Yusuf Oko-Oloyun, Ajifat.
(28) Best Islamic Music Friendly Broadcaster (Male): Kokoro Alujana,
Baakini, Daud Alapotiowo.
(29) Best Islamic Music Friendly Broadcaster (Female): Ewa Islam, Iya Sunna, Kudirat Ashani Olayinka.
(30) Best Supportive Islamic Cleric to Islamic Music: Sheikh Muri n
Bariga, Sheikh Alfulanny Olanrewaju, Sheikh Jamiu Ami Olohun, Sheikh
(31) Best Reporter of Islamic Music: Taofik Afolabi, Gbolahan Adetayo,
Kazeem Aderohunmu, Samad Kewuyemi.
(32) Best Make-Up Artist in Islamic Music Video Shoot: Dammy Adams, Oluwatosin Adenusi, Joke Kupoluyi, Dayo Samuel, Titilayo Alausa, Aminat Ganiu.
(33) Best Camera Handler in Islamic Music Video Shoot: Adewale Yusuuf, Azeez Luqman, Adisa Lawal, Yomi Tijani.
(34) Best Studio Engineer in Islamic Music Production: T Reign (HXT
Sound Studio), Ola Kewusola (Zeemac Sound Studio), Mathew Samuel ( Icon Tune Studio).
(35) Best Islamic Artiste’s Manager: Lukman Abdulsalam (Saoty Arewa),
Ore-Ofe Idowu (Ere Asalatu), Babajide Sholu (Ayeloyun), Muritadho Sulaiman (Mistura Temi Ni Success), Ayilara Ajasa (Iyanghana), Odusanya Babatunde (Ruqoyaah Gawat).
(36) Best Islamic Artiste’s Fans’ Club Exco: Rufai Baseerat (Iyanghana Fans’ Club), Mujeedah Omo Imole ( Ruqoyaah Gawat Fans’ Club), Sulaimon Owoiya (Saoty Arewa Fans’ Club).
(37) Best Islamic Music Producer: Ariyo Producer, Kehinde Oriyomi, Yemi Crownfit, Taiwo Alimi, Issa Alabede, Kazeem Akogba.
(38) Best Islamic Music Video Director: Big Doo, Dare Zaka, Lacadelly,
L. Anisere, Big Cass, D. Mayor.
(39) Best Islamic Music Instrumentalist: Ademola Ayeloja, Elegun Akeem,
Kanamo Ganiu, Lateef Alao, Wale Oshogbo, Johnson Ayanlowo.
It should be noted that, like it was done in 2017, some new members would be inducted into IMAN Awards 2018 Hall of Fame and that include: Mr. Peter Anayor Okafor (Golden Point), Alhaji Mumeen Damilola (Esinogbamilaye), Alhaja Hafusat As-Sideeq (Ola Fathia), Alhaji Lukmon Babatunde (Eluku @ 40), Mr. Musiliu Sanni ( Mr. Bebe), Mr. Dipo Orishadipe (Big Doo) and Mr. Olatunji Ayinla (T Reign). And it is instructive to add that their induction which would be conducted by Dr. Ambrose Somide, the Managing Director, Radio Services, DAAR Communications Plc., would be regardless of whether those of them nominated in some relevant award categories win it or not.
There would also be presentation of Special Recognition Award to Veleta Fruit Drink as the Most Supportive Fruit Drink Brand to Islamic Music in Nigeria, another to Finger King Small Chops as the Most Supportive Finger Food Brand to Islamic Music in Nigeria, and another to Ijebulawa Garri as the Most Supportive Staple Food Brand to Islamic Music in Nigeria, at the event.