THE Federal Government may have bowed to the demand of the organised labour for a N30,000 minimum wage for workers.
This followed the eleventh hour call-off of the planned nationwide strike by the organised labour to demand for the increase of the workers minimum wage from N18,000 to N30,000.
The strike was scheduled to begin at 12am on Tuesday and was meant to be total as all afilliate unions have given their consent to down tools.
But Ayuba Wabba, President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), announced in Abuja late Monday night — minutes before the industrial action was to kick off — after the second leg of the marathon meeting of the tripartite committee constituted by the Federal Government to decide a new national minimum wage.
“The tripartite negotiating committee, as rightly put by the chairperson, has, this period, concluded its assignment; agreements have been reached, and also documents have been signed,” Wabba said.
“The report will be submitted to Mr. President tomorrow by 4:15pm. Therefore, organised labour, we want to use this medium to thank all the tripartite partners for their understanding, and importantly for concluding this important national assignment.
“And having reached this position, and also the fact that the assignment has been concluded, the organised labour also decided that the proposed strike action is hereby suspended.”
Ama Pepple, Chairman of the committee, added: “I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday.
“We will reveal the figure at the presentation.”
Neither party disclosed to the media exactly what agreement had been reached.
He said the figure would only be made public after the committee’s report would have been presented to President Muhammadu Buhari by 4.15pm on Tuesday.
Multiple sources within the organised labour and government team told our Correspondent that the government agreed and signed the #30, 000 demanded for by the workers.