The much awaited nominations for Islamic Music and Associated Nominees
(IMAN) Awards 2017 have been finally released by the organizers,
Synergy Media. The nominations which were supposed to have been
released before the commencement of the 2017 Ramadan fasting were
delayed till after the fasting period due to what the organizers
described as agitations from a good number of stake-holders in the
Islamic music industry who canvassed that the nominations should be
left till well after Ramadan so that albums meant to be released
during the Ramadan period and for Sallah celebration could also be
considered for nominations into relevant categories. “And since IMAN
Awards are meant for the industry, the agitations from the
stake-holders were given serious consideration, so we had to delay the
nominations till after Ramadan,” the organizers rationalized.
Meanwhile, unlike the 2016 edition where votes for nominees in all the
categories of the awards were sent to two regular telephone numbers,
the organizers also asserted that they have put in place a short code
for the 2017 edition. The organizers then explained that the main
rationale behind the short code is to ease the collation process of
the votes as it would now be done by a central computer system through
an agency that has been commissioned for it, and it is also meant to
enhance the credibility of the awards as voting results as recorded by
the computer would by the grace of God, be displayed on a projector
screen at the award ceremony for everyone to see how people voted
before winners emerged. “The computer collation system we adopted is a
foolproof one that would definitely not allow for any manipulation
from any quarters,” the organizers assured.
Hence, the short code is: 33811. And to vote any nominee in the
following award categories, the process has been made very simple. All
the voter would have to do would be to type as a text message on any
kind of phone they use, the word “IMAN”, leave a space, type the
serial number of the category they are voting in i.e.: “1”, leave a
space, and then type the name of their favourite nominee as written on
the list and send to 33811. For example: IMAN 1 Lanre Atorise or IMAN
2 Esther Igbekele and send to 33811. Each vote costs #50.00 (Fifty
naira) and multiple votes are allowed on all mobile telephone networks
in Nigeria. The voting which has just started would end on Sunday,
August 13th, 2017, and the award ceremony would hold on Sunday, August
20th, 2017, at White House Hotel Multi-purpose Hall, Toyin Street,
IMAN AWARDS 2017 NOMINATIONS
(1) Best Male Islamic Artiste: Saoti Arewa, Ere Asalatu, Ahmad
Alawiye, Ayeloyun, Ibraheem Labaika, Amir Cisse.
(2) Best Female Islamic Artiste: Obi Rere, Omotayebi, Ruqoyaah Gawat,
Mistura Temi Ni Success, Kifayat Singer, Iyanghana.
(3) Best Islamic Music Album: Islam (Saoti Arewa), My Lord (Ahmad
Alawiye), Eyipada (Ayeloyun), Ola Azikiri (Iyanghana), Apase (Kifayat
Singer), Iwa Rere (Mistura Temi Ni Success).
(4) Best Islamic Music Video: Ami (Saoti Arewa), Oro Olohun (Obi
Rere), Temitope (Ruqoyaah Gawat), Kadara Mi (Aishat Ayopo).
(5) Best Islamic Music Collaboration: Ija Agba Meji, Ojo Idajo, Ajulo,
Master Key, Alao Jowujowu, I Miss You Muhammed.
(6) Best Islamic Hip Hop Artiste: Hyb Addis, Lawizzy, Al-Mubarak
Kewuyemi, Omo Ola, Ade Omo Ade.
(7) Face of Islamic Music [Male]: Ere Asalatu, Ahmad Alawiye,
Ayeloyun, Saoti Arewa, Mumeen Esinogbamilaye, Ibraheem Labaika.
(8) Face of Islamic Music [Female]: Mistura Temi Ni Success, Obi Rere,
Iyankaola, Omotayebi, Mariam Akiki, Wabilahi Taofeeq.
(9) Best New Male Islamic Artiste: Mutiu Akasho, Hassan Omo Idunnu,
Omo Ara, Saheed Aotipoto.
(10) Best New Female Islamic Artiste: Ajike Arewa, Silifat Talolohun,
Eyinju Tayebi, Aminat Akobi Omo, Shakira Ododo, Nafisat Eniafe.
(11) Most Fashionable Male Islamic Artiste: Ahmad Alawiye, Saoti
Arewa, Ere Asalatu, Ayeloyun, Amir Cisse.
(12) Most Fashionable Female Islamic Artiste: Wabillahi Taofeeq, Queen
Seidah Rasheedah, Ruqoyaah Gawat, Iyanghana, Eyinju Anabi, Iyankaola.
(13) Best Islamic Music Producer: Kazeem Akogba, Ariyo Producer,
Kehinde Oriyomi, Ara99, Yemi Olabisi Crownfit.
(14) Best Islamic Music Video Director: Big Doo, Dare Zaka, Lacadelly,
L. Anisere, SP Media, Hakmate.
(15) Best Islamic Music Instrumentalist: Kazeem Ayeloja, Elegun Akeem,
Kanamo Ganiu, Rotimi Obeke.
(16) Best Islamic Kid Artiste: Aishat Ayopo, Malik Okiki, Sabeeq
Eleshinla, Tip Sound, Eyinloju Obi, Golden Son.
(17) Best Islamic Artiste in Stage Performance: Mistura Temi Ni
Success, Ahmad Alawiye, Omotayebi, Mariam Akiki, Ayeloyun, Saheed Ife
(18) Best Islamic Artiste in Diaspora: Sekinat Omidiya
(London/Dublin), Tajudeen Olanrewaju Rahman (USA), Seidah Bashirat
Olaogun (Dublin), Khadijat Badejoko (USA), Salmot Alayande (London),
Adhakir Tijani (London).
(19) Best Popular Tune Adaptation in Islamic Music: Ere Asalatu (Yinka
Ayefele’s Tune), Kayefi (Haruna Ishola’s Tune), Barryslam (Ayinde
(20) Best Azikiri Based Islamic Artiste: Kifayat Jejeniwa, Queen
Seidah Rasheedah, Ridwan Dosunmu, Opeyemi Jemila, Iyanghana, Fatimoh
(21) Best Islamic Soul Artiste: Crescents, Abdul-Azeez Shakirudeen,
Muhammad Abdullah, Husayn Zaguru.
(22) Best Islamic Artiste’s Manager: Lukman Abdulsalam (Saoti Arewa),
Ore-Ofe Idowu (Ere Asalatu), Babajide Sholu (Ayeloyun), Kehinde
Alawiye (Ahmad Alawiye), Muritadho Sulaiman (Mistura Temi Ni Success).
(23) Best Featured Non Islamic Artiste in Islamic Music: Pasuma,
Saheed Osupa, Sefiu Alao, Sule Alao Malaika, Taye Currency, Seriki Omo
(24) Best Islamic Music Video Editor: Saheed Oyeledun, Michael Oke,
Emmanuel Agbozo, Sulaimon Solaja, Aduragba Ahmed.
(25) Best Featured Movie Actor in Islamic Music Video: Okunnu,
Sanyeri, Afeez Oyetoro, Ronke Oshodi Oke, Murphy Afolabi, Wasila
(26) Best Islamic Music Marketer: Okiki, Golden Point, Epsalum,
Mustoy, Dammyjay, Hasolad.
(27) Best Islamic Music Promoter: Golden Point, Okiki, Eleshin-nla,
(28) Best Supportive Radio Station to Islamic Music: Faaji f.m.
(Lagos), Bond f.m. (Lagos), Radio Lagos, Family f.m. (Abeokuta),
Harmony f.m. (Ilorin).
(29) Best Supportive Tv Station to Islamic Music: Africa Magic Yoruba,
MITV, Tiwantiwa TV, LTV 8, OGTV, Orisun.
(30) Best Supportive Newspaper to Islamic Music: The Sun, The Nation,
(31) Best Supportive Magazine to Islamic Music: City People Magazine,
Alariya Oodua, Akede Agbaye.
(32) Best Supportive Individual to Islamic Music: MC Oluomo, Ibraheem
Dende, Yusuf Oko-Oloyun.
(33) Best Islamic Music Friendly Broadcaster (Male): Kokoro Alujana,
Anasri, Baakini, Daud Alapotiowo.
(34) Best Islamic Music Friendly Broadcaster (Female): Kudirat Ashani
Olayinka, Ewa Islam, Iya Sunna.
(35) Best Supportive Islamic Cleric to Islamic Music: Sheikh Muri n
Bariga, Sheikh Alfulanny Olanrewaju, Sheikh Jamiu Ami Olohun, Sheikh
Sakorphy, Sheikh Sannu Sheu, Sheikh Buhari Musa.
(36) Best Reporter of Islamic Music: Gbolahan Adetayo, Taofiq Afolabi,
(37) Best Make-Up Artist in Islamic Music Video Shoot: Aminat Ganiu,
Dammy Adams, Oluwatosin Adenusi, Joke Kupoluyi, Dayo Samuel, Titilayo
(38) Best Camera Handler in Islamic Music Video Shoot: Yomi Tijani,
Adewale Yusuuf, Azeez Luqman, Adisa Lawal.
(39) Best Studio Engineer in Islamic Music Production: T Reign (HXT
Sound Studio), Ola Kewusola (Zeemac Sound Studio), Abiodun Ifedolapo
(GWS Sound Studio).
It should be noted that the theme for IMAN Awards 2017 is: Opening The
Hall Of Fame, and the likes of Dr. Seye Kehinde, the Publisher,
Editor-in-Chief of City People Magazine and Dr. Ambrose Somide, the
Managing Director, Radio Services, Daar Communications PLC., are among
about eight other distinguished personalities who have contributed to
the growth of the Islamic music in the country in their different ways
over the years, that would be inducted into the Hall of Fame at the
For participation or enquiries, call Saheed Ojubanire on: 08076160817.