Nigeria international midfielder, John Obi Mikel, could be on his way out of English Premier League club, Chelsea.
Mikel lost his place in the Chelsea first team last season following the arrival of Serbian midfielder, Nemanja Matic in January.
The arrival, from FC Barcelona, of Spanish midfielder, Cesc Fabregas was expected to make things more complicated for the Nigerian who choose to put up a brave face in public.
Fabregas joined Chelsea for £27 million on a five-year deal from Barcelona on June 21 as Jose Mourinho looks to build a super team for the 2014/15 campaign but Mikel insists he is in the plans of the “Special One.”
“I don’t have any problem with Cesc arriving at Chelsea. I have played against Cesc a lot of times. Besides we don’t even play in the same position,” Mikel said earlier this month.
The former Lyn Oslo man has been severally linked with a move to 18-time Serie A champions, Inter Milan but he insists his immediate plans remains staying at Chelsea.
“I have been at Chelsea for a very long time. It’s my home. Obviously, I am Nigerian but Chelsea is my home away from home,” he said.
However, the Daily Mail is now reporting that Chelsea have offered their Nigerian midfielder up for sale for £5 million with several clubs in Italy reportedly showing interest.
Mikel started just 11 games last season and playing time at the Bridge is expected to be even more difficult to come by with stellar names coming through the club’s doors.
The 27-year-old is Nigeria’s highest paid footballer thanks to his £75,000 weekly wages at the London club.